It was mostly melted by the afternoon.
So what have we been up to all this time that Tim and I haven't been posting on our blogs? Well I'll try and list them briefly:
- Homeschooling. It does take a good deal of time and effort. I have shed most of my "stay-at-home Mom" way of thinking. I am a working Mom. I just do most of my work at home. Now if I can get the kids to realize that schoolwork is not supposed to be an interruption to their lives but an integral part of it half of the conflicts we have would be done.
- Christmas. We celebrated. We visited. Tim and the girls were in the Christmas play. Christmas is not a happy time for me. I have trouble indulging others' desires to recreate childhood fantasies for themselves. My personal view of it is that the holiday should mirror the priorities of the person we celebrate. I am not aware of anyone else around me who agrees to the point of going counter-culture on this. So I manage the best I can with it. Given this quirky opinion of mine and the fact that Christmas has had several losses, emergencies, and sicknesses associated with it in my mind from events in my past, I have found that the less I join in the general joviality, the more contented and at peace I am.
- Birthdays. From October until February is Birthday season for our kids. We eat way too many sweets. Our kids get family parties and other special treats if we can manage it. The Pillowfight Fairy got a trip to a ballet performance. The Adrenaline Junkie got time to play with friends. The Happy Boy's birthday is yet to come.
- Tim's been doing Chainmaille jewelry lately (for Christmas presents). He is also considering plans for an outfit for the Pillowfight Fairy.
- I've been on a craft binge. I have completed one cross-stitch project and started another. I have crocheted a shawl for myself and a blanket for our sofa. I finished sewing Fancy dresses for the girls. Currently I am only working on a cross-stitch but I'm itching to pick up a new crochet project or start a quilt. I have promised a quilt to a family member in the next year, but it is not quite time to start it. So I'm tempted to start up one of the quilts I planned a few years back but never got to. I also want to improve my crochet skills to the point that I am comfortable in making clothing (something more complicated than flat fabric). I have been delaying these craft urges lately for the simple reason that keeping the finances updated is important and taxes will need filing rather soon. There is only so much time in a day after all.
- Tim is in play rehearsals. He auditioned and was cast as the Mikado in our local theater group's production of the same name. Here is the company website for anyone interested. Needless to say that makes our schedule quite a bit more full than usual.