Sunday, January 13, 2008

Mulling things over

Between a hectic hard holiday season and many, many thought provoking things I am mulling over starting a series of blog posts about life and the way we live it. I just read through a booklet my Dad wrote about his memories both growing up and his life all the way to the present. I would like to ruminate about what ideas this has brought to me, but I think those thoughts need to simmer a little before serving. I just wanted people to know something meatier will be coming soon. I also wanted to encourage those who haven't given it thought to write down your memories of your younger life before the chance passes you by. I think what prompted my parents to do it was the presence of grandchildren who had no clue what life was like growing up on a farm in the 1930's and 1940's in the rural South. In the process, I've gotten to know what shaped and molded my parents a lot better (I thought that I knew all the family stories, but I didn't). It is good to look back on things from my lifetime and see them from my parent's perspective. Sometimes you need new eyes to see a memory fresh. Reliving the memories my Dad wrote down has stirred deep thoughts and ideas in my mind and heart that I think are relevant to everyone. I would like to share these ideas (and if I get his permission some of his stories) with you once I settle them in my own mind a little. Till then, just know that I am busy with getting life back together after our crazy holidays, and I'm busy thinking.

No comments: